Chicken Little - ish?

Our office closed down at 12:30 today. Flat roof without snow removal and it's raining on top of several inches of snow! First there was a new crack in the outer wall, then one noticed near a skylight, ceiling tiles began to bow, finally another crack in the main hallway by a bearing wall...and we anxiously awaited the "go" from the Regional Administrator. At the signal, I grabbed the laptop, some photos, my coat, purse, and left. We may be relocated to another building this week.

I have a new resolution: "Never put more in my office QB than I can carry out in one trip!"

The kids have been out of school since Dec 18th, weather conditions, and holidays. The school didn't open today either, while snow is being removed from their flat roofs in preparation for all the rain we are now expecting. (Many of the schools also have flat roofs). I could only imagine the energy that would permeate a school if they were noticing walls crack and ceiling tiles bow!

If I was "in gamba" I'd have the houseclean, the laundry done, and be homeschooling my children during this break. Instead they are playing Wii, DS, laptop, and telling me how hungry they are. Alas. I did call to check on Mom and she reports no concerns right now.

So, all of this has me thinking. I have paying homage to the idea of emergency preparedness, all the while thinking that I'm OK. However, last summer we nearly had to evacuate at home due to a nearby fire in the hills. Now we have 71.4 inches of snow in a year. And my 72 hour backpacks (which I bought on a good sale) hardly hold necessities.

OK, so perhaps I'm being told that more than lip service is required here! I won't go on about the last days, or the last counsel from Pres. Hinckley...

I just feel sorry for the next president elect who gets to deal with these anticipated catastrophes.

For an emotional stress eater starting weight watchers this is all a bit much! Where's the chocolate?!!!

Comments

Jo said…
Lisa, I totally understand, I still haven't figured out how not to stress eat...I polished off the mint choc. M&M's the other day.

Just remember one step at a time, but take that step and we will get thru it all.

Remember when we did the Noah's ark thing for food storage a few years ago? How about doing that for the 72 hour kits. Pick up one thing weekly that is needed for the kits and put them in your packs. Keep them in the study that is locked so the kids don't get into them. (hey, that would be good advise for me also.)

Popular Posts