Is it everyone else or just me?

While listening to Dr. Laura in the car I heard her give a terrific response to a call I could identify with. The caller stated that she was nearly 45 years old and wanted to know how she could live the next 40 years differently. “I have returned to the healthcare field after several year’s absence. My superiors say that I am doing a great job and am ready to take on the responsibilities of the job. But I feel like I’m wearing a mask and just look competent, when I’m really not.” Dr. Laura responded something like “When did you learn everyone else is stupid?” (Paraphrasing now ) “If everyone who observing you, assessing you, analyzing you, says you are competent, then why do you think they are all stupid?” The caller explained that she felt like she was wearing a mask, performing a charade that required a lot of work to maintain. Dr Laura responded “of course it’s work and you are obviously doing it well. You can’t fake competence.” Everything we do requires work but the effort is what exalts it.”
So, is everyone else stupid or will you believe that you really do have value and do a good job?

Comments

Popular Posts