Better than ice cream

Maddie has a touch of perfectionism (wonder where that came from :-). It is very important to her to complete all the work she is assigned, and on time. This morning we realized that her math pre-test (regular education test, not resource math test) wasn’t done. As we completed page 3 and tuned to page 4, I thought there is" no way". So I wrote on the paper “Mom says ‘no’.” Maddie read it and with tears in her eyes, laughed uncomfortably and began to erase it. I instructed her to leave it there and call it good. She was obviously distressed having not completed it. “Your teacher will laugh”, I said smiling. She laughed again but it was evident she was still uncertain. Finally, I said “Your teacher will laugh and be ok with it. If she isn't, I owe you an ice cream.” I guess she decided she’d win either way, because she giggled as she put the pre-test into her backpack for school. I told her resource room teacher, but it’ll be interesting to see how Maddie responds.
If only we could say 'no' when the challenges are too great, and felt like we were winners regardless.
Oh wait, what am I thinking? We have a savior, and an atonement. Better than Ice Cream!

Comments

Jo said…
Isn't the most wonderful thing to realize?! I can just see Maddie looking at you and trying to decide if that was okay or not. Good call. Have a great day!

Popular Posts