Sugar Jungle

I have been toying for a while now with going to a sugar free diet, but haven't been willing to pass up treats.  Those dark chocolate filled croissants at the Free table called me like a siren. Doesn't turning away my son's homemade cookies he left for me on the night stand seem like I'm rejecting him?  I don't remember growing up thinking I had to have a sweet everyday to reward myself, let alone survive the day. 
I'm there now wandering the sugar jungle in my  life.
SO before blindly running out of the jungle and plunging into the abyss, I'm searching for some guideposts on healthy living, no added sugar.


Is this an escape pod? 
"If restricting added sugars completely seems daunting, fear not. According to the American Heart Association, modest intake of added sugars, or roughly 100 calories worth for most women and 150 calories for adult men per day, is unlikely to hinder your wellness. Reducing foods rich in added sugars, such as soft drinks, candy, cookies, cake and ice cream, can improve your health, particularly if you swap them out for nutrient-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables. Learning to prepare your own baked goods, sweetened with lesser amounts of sugar, sugar substitutes and/or naturally sweet foods, such as applesauce, can add enjoyment and reduce deprivation associated with a no-added-sugar diet"  http://www.livestrong.com/article/224487-no-added-sugar-diet/

Comments

Popular Posts