Somewhere in Neverland

  
The phrase "Excess within control" came to mind while studying about temperance this evening.  So looking up information pertaining to this line from Somewhere in Time, I discovered a connection between two of my favorite films.  They both give me that haunting feeling that causes me to pause, relishing each line and note while falling prey to the guilty feelings caused by total indulgence.
So the connection?  The Character Elise McKenna is built on an actress named Maude Adams.  Maude was a famous actress of her time.  From http://www.ldsfilm.com/movies/SomewhereInTime.html

>Although the J. M. Barrie play The Little Minister is of paramount importance in Bid Time Return and "Somewhere in Time", the playwright himself is not in the book or movie. Barrie lived in London and did not accompany the many American productions of his works. The 2004 feature film "Finding Neverland" is a semi-biographical film about J. M. Barrie, starring Johnny Depp as the famous author and playwright. The movie focuses on Barrie's creation of the Peter Pan character and the play which immortalized his creation. Unfortunately, despite the fact that Barrie wrote this play specifically for Maude Adams ("Elise"), Adams is not a character in "Finding Neverland"; she is not even mentioned. <



And thus the connection.  Peter Pan was written for Maude Adams, and Maude Adams was the character base for Elise McKenna.  How many years between these two films and how much longer before I discovered the connection?  


The emotion has been a common link. I felt the same watching Somewhere in Time in the 1980's as I did watching Finding Neverland in 2004. I wonder what other connections I  may have concerning these two films from 1980 and 2004?




Comments

Popular Posts