Ramblings

Since September I have put myself through a series of changes at my office one right after another.  I applied for 2 supervisor spots, took a temporary 2-3 month under-fill in work I had never performed before, returned to my usual post for a 3 weeks,  and then accepted another 6 month temporary in a management position. Away from work, I have run errands, accompanied my mother to MD appointments, scurried and pleaded with teenagers to attend to their duties and obligations while providing transportation and maintaining calendars, pulled through the holidays, and joined in with a school special services council.  It's been quite a ride, and for the most part, I really have enjoyed it.  Other times, I have wondered whether I was coming or going and really tested the limits of my mental flexibility.

Yesterday was one such day.  It began with early morning seminary, a conversation with the current manager to review my first week in the position, a second conversation/briefing from another manager regarding some of my new duties and responsibilities, and a minor correction of a mistake I made earlier in the week, an interview for a supervisor position, hands on training of my replacement regarding utilization of reports and payment system, and finished my workday discussing my new role with my administrator.  My brain was performing mental gymnastics all day. By the time I delivered mail to my mother and returned home, I was zapped.  It was home delivered pizza and 2 episodes of Downton Abbey before I went to bed. And then my brain went into high gear reviewing the events of the day, adding corrections and adjustments, and feeling disgusted at myself for the TV binge.

As I sank into my pillow last night, I mentally reviewed the questions asked of me in the interview. What is my leadership style? What would you do if you caught one of your employees in a lie? Why do you want to be a supervisor in our organization? What makes you the best candidate for this job? What would you do about a distracted employee or one that has a long-term illness?  After 12 open ended questions of this nature, I felt I vulnerable and tired.  I thought of how people on my caseload are asked at least 90 open ended questions during a 2 1/2 -3 hour assessment, and how very personal those questions are concerning their lives, habits, strengths, and weakness. It seemed almost unkind requiring their annual participation. Empathy and sorrow were my lullabies as I fell asleep.

I must have fallen asleep because I awoke this morning preparing to transport a child, make a purchase, for my mother, do some dishes/ laundry/ ironing (yes I still do iron on occasion), spend time with my spouse, prepare a RS lesson for tomorrow, and plan a menu for the week.

A friend of yesteryear passed away yesterday, another friend said good-bye to her deploying boyfriend this week, another prepares for a upcoming wedding, another is searching for a home to rent....

Media suggests that sunlight and exercise would improve my physical health and improve my metal capacity. They are probably correct, but I sit and type, instead of taking the dog for a walk in the drizzle.



Comments

Popular Posts