Goats, Sheep, Lamps of oil, and Self-righteousness

We had a wonderful Stake Conference with Robert M Call this weekend.

I hears a lot of talk about feeling God's love, and the blessings of daily scripture study family prayer, and Family Home Evening.

Today, again we were counseled to follow the Lord's command of unifying our families, preparing for the meeting our Savior by filling our lamps with obedience to God's commandments, service, and an emphasis was made on daily scripture study family prayer, and Family Home Evening.

Elder Call made reference to three parables:
1) the sheep and the goats, 2) the talents, 3) the Ten Virgins
The sheep heard the voice of the Shepard and obeyed willingly, the goats stubbornly wanted to do things their own way.
Those who received 5 and 2 talents shared (served) and increased their talents, while the one buried his in the earth (earthly things)
Five of the Ten virgins filled their lamps with oil by serving God, while the other five foolishly used their time in other pursuits.

After talking with my husband, I suggested we find a way to  implement this council.  He said he would support me.  I gather the kids (a fitting name now) around the table to discuss my proposal.
One kid said "It takes too much time" [to read 1 scripture verse and have family prayer].
One kid said "It seems a little pious to do it every day."
One kid stood up and started sweeping the floor.

I live with a family of goats I thought to myself.

Then I remembered the other counsel from our Stake President, Pres. Mott.  When we think we are more worthy than those around us, we have indulged is the sin of self-righteousness and we need to repent.

I told the kids we would talk about this again later today.


Comments

Fussy Faddist said…
After 4 days...I may have a family of sheep after all. Just need a day or so to accept the idea. The real test came in sustainablity when Dad was at work/school.

Popular Posts