Gospel dieting

A friend of mine recently joined the church of LDS.  She began investigating on her own, then attended church and was introduced to the missionaries.  She met an apostle, the mission president, and attended all the church meetings.  She was on fire!  I remember her texting me "I get it!  I want to run down the streets shouting to everyone It's True!".  Later when talking about something together that was challenging, she said "truth is truth."   When she was baptized the spirit was so strong.  She was confirmed the next day and she glowed.  Her confirmation was inspirational and a spiritual experience for many who were there.  The following two weeks, she and her husband attended...and then they didn't for 2 weeks.  Efforts to invite her to attend have fallen flat as other priorities call for her time.

Has the flower burst open and faded just as quickly?  Did saints embrace them and then go about their business?  Was the statement made in church that time make it feel like victory had been won?  I recall the discussion on enduring to the end and she was having difficulty committing to living all the commandments, and her husband said "I will not".

A little while ago she told me that she was struggling with one of the commandments, and felt uncertain if she could overcome it.  I shared that we all struggle with commandments and that no one attending is perfect. Truth is truth.

Last Saturday there was a Stake Woman's conference.  I didn't go, placing my husband and daughter's desires first. Besides. I reasoned, I was attending other meetings on Saturdays later throughout the month. On Sunday when the women shared what they experienced, felt, and learned, I wished I had attended and mentioned it to someone who did.  She said "You were attending to your family and that is important. There'll be other chances to learn and grow"  Still I knew I had missed something that may have bettered me had I attended, felt, and learned alongside them.

Sometimes, it is the choice between good, better, and best.
Other times it feels like we mistaken act as if the church is a diet.

Where the gospel and dieting is similar:  
We know we should attend church, keep the commandments, and pray, etc.  However, when we indulge in worldly things, we feel like we fell off the wagon, and might as well give up.  It's too hard.  Too much work. Too much guilt knowing the discrepancy between commandments and our personal realities.  This is like dieting. We may sign up for the biggest loser at work, or to a gym membership. We try to make good choices, refusing things that are tasty but unhealthy.  We fill ourselves with resolve knowing it is up to us. Then experience Discouragement when on day #2 we eat that doughnut or skip exercise that day.. The will power lags.  We know it's important but just can't seem to do it.

Where the gospel and  dieting is different.
Dieting has many forms.  Some work, some do not.  But the gospel has a single path which is true, proven, and designed for men, women, and children of God.  It may exclude worldly indulgences, but it offers courage in it's place.  Instead of will power, it is His power, instead of leaning of companions that may or may not be reliable,  or even saboteurs, it leans on one true friend, our Savior, who has done it.  He doesn't set us up for failure.  He leads, guides, and walks beside us as faithfully as we will permit.  At times he even carries us when we lack strength.  He doesn't nag, bargain, or berate.  He persuades with compassion.  He doesn't just believe in us.  He knows us.

The gospel diet is feasting with faith in the Savior!

I know what it feels like to have " missed something that may have bettered me had I attended, felt, and learned alongside them."  I don't want that for anyone.





Comments

Fussy Faddist said…
My friend came back and stuck to it. now I look like I'm the one dieting. "figs" as my daughter would say.

Popular Posts