Coming around

I spoke with my son today. When he left nearly 2 years ago, I thought it would be at least 10 years before he considered really talking to me again.  I'm so grateful he is reaching out.  Before he left I was so reactionary to all the struggles we were having, and the actions he was taking.  I am still reactionary in many areas of my life, so I am am trying hard to breath and prioritize instead of react.
It's been a hard couple of years for him. It has brought him a lot of growth and a broader perspective. At 17 it is hard to imagine the long-term implications of immediate decisions.  As a parent, the view is a little broader and I can see the affects of short term decisions; but, I am also very young in my own spiritual and emotional development.
A woman commented that parenting is so hard that she wonders if she would want eternal posterity.  We laughed about it.  What must it be like for our Heavenly Father, to watch us forget, fumble, and/or rebel because we are looking at the moment instead of His eternal plan?
I have often wondered how He (God) is able to be so available to us...all of us.  Ready to listen, to respond, to counsel, and to know and love each of us.
As a parent I grow impatient when I have plans and desires and the needs of others infringe on my progress.
Sometimes I am annoyed, and feel imposed upon, even though I love my family and am concerned for their needs, growth, and development.  When this happens I struggle to be available and present.
Yesterday for example, I awoke with a long list of things I wanted to do and needed to do.  My husband had other plans, my children had other plans, and my mother had other plans.  None of their desires were over the top, or excessively demanding, but the sum of all of them collided with my plans creating tension for me.  I was a little resentful.  I did did lay some plans aside, while keeping a few of my priorities.  In the end I was glad I did, but there were things left undone, unsaid, and unfulfilled. And to be honest, I placed lesser priorities at the forefront.
By contrast, my Heavenly Father is always available, and always patient, loving, and kind.
How can this be?
He is available to us, because he is complete.  There is nothing else on his priority list, except for us.  That is why the scriptures says "This is my work and glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39) We are His work, His only work.  He has all knowledge, all power, all truth.  He has become all he can be, and because of that WE are His To Do list. HE cannot become more Godlike than he already is. All he can do now is to help us become like him - to become God-like.
What we know about God:
• He “is no respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34).
• He is “merciful and gracious” (Exodus 34:6; see also Psalm 103:8; 2 Nephi 2:6).
• He is “slow to anger,” “abundant in goodness,” and will be so forever (Nehemiah 9:17; Exodus 34:6; see also Moroni 7:12).
• He is generous (see 2 Nephi 26:24).
• “He changes not, neither is there variableness with him; but that he is the same . . . yesterday, to-day, and for ever” (Lectures on Faith 3:15; see also Mormon 9:9; Moroni 8:18).
• He is just (see Mosiah 29:12).
• He is “a God of truth, and canst not lie” (Ether 3:12).
• He possesses independent faith. That is to say, He is the only being who has faith in Himself and is not dependent on any other being or any other power to accomplish His purposes and bring about His desires. If this were not so, we could not exercise faith in Him. We “would be as the heathen, not knowing but there might be a being greater and more powerful than [God], and thereby be prevented from fulfilling his promises” (Lectures on Faith, Q&A 3:19).
• God is the author of law. It originates with Him (see D&C 88:41–42).
• God possesses all power and all knowledge (see 1 Nephi 9:6; Mosiah 4:9; Isaiah 46:9–10).
• “God is love” (1 John 4:16). That is to say, this characteristic or attribute of love shapes, mediates, and influences all of God’s other attributes. “With all the other excellencies” of our Heavenly Father’s character, without love “to influence them, they could not have such powerful dominion over the minds of men” (Lectures on Faith, 3:24).

Our Gospel Doctrine teacher, Art Dorval, always reminds us: Commandments are the tinstructions God gives us to become like him - to be like God.  They are not restrictions, rather the road signs to help us become like God."

I can put my trust in my Heavenly Father, exactly because He is God, and His priority is to help his sons and daughters- me and others - to become like Him; to become God-like.  I can pray to Him, communicate with him, because He knows me and loves me.  And all he is about it helping me and every other child of his to become like Him.  Truly self-less love.

When my son called to "communicate with me", I listened.  I certainly don't know it all.  But I do have more experience and a broader perspective. I can help, support, love, and encourage.  Wouldn't it be something if I could be like God?





Comments

Popular Posts