New Dreams, new opportunities

We've been camping every year on the 4th of July with friends at our favorite state park.  One year we stayed at a old log cabin in exchange for some care taking.  I just couldn't kick the idea of having a sweet spot by the lake for weekend retreats. But when we realized the amount of difficulty involved by opening up, later winterizing a cabin and maintaining two homes...it seemed a little unrealistic for our lives.  And would we really want to be obligated to visiting the same location all the time?

So we stayed with our 14' tent.  But then last summer we realized that sleeping on an air mattress or on the ground was a little tough on our weakening knees as we laughed as we plopped into bed or fell on the floor trying to get up and out to the bathroom at night.  We considered cots.  But cots for a family of 6 - runs anywhere from 350-600 + dollars.  Why not just invest  in a pop up tent trailer? Exploring that idea brought its own complications - storage, set up, and take down, towing, etc.  Would we be content without it being something a little more substantial? We are not ready to invest in a truck or SRV, or  - travel trailer.

Then last fall I was in a grocery store and discovered this little treasure.  I was laughing at loud at some of its clever ideas and accommodations for women and girls.  I nearly bought it, and didn't.  However, the idea  hatched all the same.  Vintage trailers are small, affordable, and whimsical /quirky.  Just my style.  My husband didn't quite warm to it as quickly as I did.  In fact, he still is a little unsure, but I am hooked!  Americana, whimsy, portable, stylish - just the thing for a Fussy Faddist, no?

So new plan, new dream - by 2016, I intend to own, use, and enjoy my own little escape pod. And if I'm going to use it, why not take it on the road, and travel with friends.  Hopefully it will be tasteful enough not to embarrass family and friends to host it in a driveway for a few days in a row.  Can't you just see my quilts draped across the bunks?

The essentials would include a quilt, a book self, air conditioner, and room for 2-3 people or more.  It has to be lite so my van can tow it.  And definitely must be balanced, comfy, tow-able .....and cheap!

So I'm saving and hunting, thinking, planning, and yes it is my current preoccupation. Okay, Obsession.

I may have hook my dear friend Amy into it.  How could I have known Glamping was on her bucket list!?!
And why not take it a step further - incorporating my plans for healthier living.  Take it on a road trip to the Grand Canyon.
The Grand Canyon website says "Hiking in the Grand Canyon is so demanding that even people in excellent condition often emerge sore and fatigued.  Yet small children, senior citizens  and people with disabilities have successfully hiked the canyon ... it will test your physical and mental endurance. /know and respect your limitations."

I plan to put this little dream into a reality, so watch out!  I may just pull up to your space some day!

Comments

Popular Posts