Finger dictation

Ok. I admit it. I'm strange.  I'm home and what do I do in my spare time? TV, clean, sleep,... nope.  I take on my husband's writing assignment as if my own and intimidate him with easy descriptive phrases.  He chose "sugo" and is struggling to leave out the flowing flourishes that exude with each toasty breathe.
I am not trying to compete, but I find the assignment fun.  It's like when I bought my kids a book of story starters and it sat on the shelf except when I picked it up.
I love writing so scoot over and let my fingers take dictation!

Five senses writing exercise Oct 2, 2012.


Paper

Sight
Paper is flattened fiber smooth like silk or velvety corduroy pasted with milk. It is white as fresh linen flagging on a clothesline under the sun, spools of soft cotton pressed by steamrollers.
Smell
Just out of the package it smells hazy with plastic, but shortly loses scent like a vacant sky. With ink it comes to life which flits away like a fairy.  When left in a bundle it collects moist scented mildew, or chalk dusted shelves. 
Taste
Childhood memories remind me that paper tastes dry as it dissolves into tissues then rolls into carpet fringe. As an adult I think of chalked antacids without the added flavor or thin layers of instant potato flakes.
Feel
At times it’s the rough tongue of a kitten, the laminated veneer on a wood table, or creped skin of an aged hand. It is malleable like clay when wet and when dry yields to folding without the whitewash of repentance. Once creased its hard pressed to remove the lingering scar. 
Sound
It crinkles and crackles like a Boy Scout campfire.  It glides like fine sand-paper on the dimple of hemlock trims.  It shuffles like slippered men with walkers. It rips with uneven scratching.  It rustles like Halloween wind through fall leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts