Baby steps to change

I began reading "Strengths Based Leadership" recommended at work. One phrase that struck me "If you focus on a person's weaknesses they lose confidence." Ok, so that's my parenting flaw in a nutshell.  It's so much easier to point out people's strengths when they don't live with me (self, spouse, child). With co-workers, church members, friends, it is so much easier - I rarely point out their weakness unless sincerely asked. Now you take it out to a further circle like professionals, teachers, physicians, I am somewhat more direct again.  Mind you this is not something I like about myself. "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" and all that...
It is something I aim to work on at home this year.
First, I will identify one strength characteristic of every person in my home.  When I am starting into my negative thinking about the weakness of the other person or myself, I will replace it with recognition of their strength.
Second, I will look at what I'm allowing to influence my "leadership style" so that I'm not just picking the flavor of the month. (if you want more details about this check out  "Sarah and Bob" in Strength Based Leadership by Rath and Conchie, 2008. p 8-10.)
After that I'll decide what to do for step three.  Baby Steps.

Comments

Popular Posts