Season of Giving

This is my countdown list of delightful gifts I am enjoying this Christmas Season.  Scroll down to see new additions each day.

December 1st

We had a white elephant gift exchange at work.  As often happens I don't get very excited about the gift I've received but the person next to me happily exchanged with me.  I know this sounds kind of bratty and selfish, but she did receive a gift she valued more than I did in exchange. Is it better than to give than receive? In a white elephant exchange, usually so.
I may opt out of this activity next year.




December 2nd

My daughter was discoverd to have a thyroid condition. Sometimes a diagnosis can be a gift, when it leads to an understanding of symptoms, behavior, and a cure. She may need medication for the rest of her life, however she now understands what can be done to help her feel energy once again.




December 3rd

After much mess in the dining room, a few trips to Michaels and JoAnns, and some very cheery sales people (really!), I have finally made my Christmas cards and will be sending them in the mail soon. There are fewer ebing sent this year than before, but I'm so glad to have finally felt "inspired".


December 4th

While listening to Julie De Azevado sing Shepherd of My Soul I felt the spirit stir within. I thought of how at that very moment I had been blessed to be sharing this christmas with four children, ours because their birth parents could not raise them. Tweny years ago I cried while listening to Michael McClain's song about Mary and her love for the Christ child, feeling deprived of that blessing.  Since then I've had this blessing times four. Tonight one was making a meatloaf dinner, another sorting lights for the tree, another singing to Cristmas music, and the fourth was quietly petting the dog. Meanwhile I enjoyed watching the First Presidency Christmas message from our home computer. I have been blessed - sometimes beyond my capacity to believe possible.


December 5th

Back to work with husband nearing end of school term.  Having him home in the evening is a rare and wonderful occasion.  The family colony is calmer, humor graces our dinner table, and children rest peacefully when it is time for bed. A good night's rest with less conflict - can it get any better than this?


December 6th

It's musical QB's at the office these days and I am moving to one with natural light.  Some people think I'm crazy to give up my large space, two solid walls, and three bulletin boards for a smaller space in a noisier environment.  There is something special about natural light when I spend so much time indoors.  I don't bask much in the sun.  I think it's not only an effect on my mood, but a metaphor for spiritual growth as well.  I'm moving into the light, the heavenly natural light!


December 7th

TBD - Actually I forgot this project, if you can believe that, so I have a little catching up to do!



December 8th

Piano lessons allowed me some time in the car to just read and snuggle with one of our dogs.  He was much colder than I until I brought out the car blanket. It's the beginning of December and we have not been pounded with snow, pelleted with ice, or perishing of cold.  I'm grateful!


December 9th

I had the chance to spend the day alone... no work, no children, no obligations.  I thought I'd spend it sewing, and ended up doing a day of shopping.  I spent several hours looking for outer ski clothes that fit for me to use next week.  It took a lot of time with much decision making, but I found what I was looking for - ski jacket and bibs.  Can you guess how much? $17.00.  I love thrift shops!


December 10th

Spent the morning with the Emperor and the evening with the whole clan.  Most of the Christmas shopping is done, and we loved our stop in B&N. Found something for Gentoo with a very small price tag.  I'm so glad to have enough to do what we planned with some to spare.I know of others who are literally scrapping by this year for food, and we are blessed enough to be able to purchase gifts.



December 11th

Attending church today, and yes we were late...but I was able to visit with a good friend both at church and another friend later by texting from home.  It reminded me that life isn't always as glamorous and some of the Christmas brag letters we've received.  It can be very difficult for others, but even in the hardest times, there are mercies and blessings afforded to those who seek them.



December 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th 

Can I really be so far behind in this?  Times are tougher than I ever recall before and I even know of a family that has figured that they have $41.00 a week for their family of 8 this month. Two sets of friends are in the midst of divorce and one day after hearing the sneaky, low things one spouse was doing to the other, I felt very heavy with concern. I worry over my children and their choices regarding education and lack of preparation for the future.  I feel sorrow for bad choices I've made since starting this adventure of parenting.  Then I read an article in the Dec 2011 issue of the Ensign called 
The Condescension of Jesus Christ  by David L Frischkneicht.  
He relayed the following:
One day during my service as bishop, I felt burdened, even overwhelmed, by the troubles and trials of the ward members. It seemed that every single one was suffering. In every home there was some kind of pain, heartache, sorrow, or worry. I knelt to pray, but as the sum of all the troubles accumulated in my mind, I sank from an upright kneeling position to a position of being stooped over, all the way to the floor.
In my prayer I poured out my soul, saying things like this (names have been changed):“Father, Mary is expecting a baby out of wedlock. She is no more than a girl herself. What will she do? How can she do it?” “And her mother,” I cried. “Mary’s mother is heartbroken and devastated. How will she go on?” The name and face of another ward member came to mind. “What about Roger? He has multiple sclerosis. The doctors say he is going to die. What will his wife and sons ever do?” “And in the Smiths’ home. Their son is so crippled. They have taken care of him night and day for 35 years. How can they go on?”
And there were others. In every case, the answer came clearly and powerfully that God was very aware of each individual. He knew the unwed teen. He knew her mother. He had a plan for the husband with multiple sclerosis and for his wife and sons. And for 35 years, night and day, the Lord had watched over the crippled son and his family.
As each person appeared in my mind, the undeniable witness came, in words too sacred to repeat, that the great plan of happiness and the Atonement were active and efficacious in each life. One by one the burdens of these brothers and sisters were lifted from my soul. The Holy Spirit imparted feelings of comfort and reassurance as if to say, “Bishop, let the Lord take these burdens. Rise up. Do the best you can. Things will work out for these people. You’ll be fine, too. Go be their bishop. The Lord will be their Savior.”
Well, I am definitely not a bishop let alone a Savior.  But I am a friend, a mother, a wife, and a daughter.
And I heard the words "Lisa rise up.  Do the best you can.  Things will work out for these people.  You'll be fine too.  Go be their friend, their mother,  his wife, and her daughter.  The Lord will be their Savior." 
And I felt at rest again.


Dec 17th

My husband is preparing a talk for Sacrament Meeting to be given this Sunday.  The article he was given to base his talk from pertains to strengthening the family by Elder Robert D Hales.  Since studying for the talk I have noticed greater patience with him toward our children.  Watching him makes me want to do a better job of parenting too.  Isn't interesting how the good in others nearly always inspires us to do better and be better.


Dec 18th

Cookies and sugar and butter and flour....I spent the day in the kitchen baking yesterday .  I didn't think that was even possible.  I tried new recipes off the internet with less than satisfactory results, even with the right ingredients, temperature, etc. Then a good friend told me of an impression she had where she felt the spirit of God  tell her to do something, not because she wanted to because her husband really needed her to do it.
Later I watched a Time Out for Women presentation by Brad Wilcox on the atonement.  He reminded me that perfection is the goal and we are not left on our own to achieve it.  We are do our very best everyday - give our all to become as He is.  As we BECOME like God we are on the road to perfection.  He said it alot better, but like my baking...it takes mastery not just combining ingredients and following the recipe.
 And the master is our Savior.



Dec 19th

I went to the bookstore to purchase a CD that I've been waiting over a month to buy.  Before I purchased it, the clerk advised me that my husband had just purchased that same CD a couple of days earlier.  She not only saved me money (which I spent on other items there), but I was reminded that when my husband really does pay attention to my wants and tries to make them happen whenever possible.  So shh! Perhaps I'll find it under a certain evergreen tree.  I wonder what I can do to surprise him?


Dec 20th

Tomorrow is Adelie's second piano recital.  When she first started piano this year I wondered if she would ever like it.  Several times I have "caught her" playing Deck the Halls with sheer delight and as rapidly as her fingers can go.  Yes, she is liking the piano and she plays more often when we turn off the TV!


Dec 21st

An aging client on my caseload recently moved, not entirely of her own choosing. Since moving her routines have changes and so have her circle of acquaintances. She seems lost with only a hint of her typical self.  I am mindful of her today.  I am thankful that throughout the changes in my life, there is a core of family and friends who have remained with me throughout the years. I have been blessed with good friends, and good memories.  I wish the same for my client.


Dec 22nd

My first day of christmas break from work.  I stayed in bed until noon reading The Wise Man Returns by Kenny Kemp.  I typically close my eyes and mind to anything with astrology and mythology.  This book has both and a very interesting read.


Dec 23rd

Shopping is done, Gifts are wrapped, and tomorrow they grace the base of our tree.  
Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas.


Dec 24th

It is Christmas Eve.  My husband doesn't understand why I don't like to cook all day.  This year he was sneaky and while he did the baking,  I "helped out" by making the wild rice, the fruit chutney, and many other parts of our meal.  Just before we concluded the preparations, he said "Look what a great meal you made!"  I made about 70% of it.  Funny, Sneaky Emperor :-)



Dec 25th 

Comments

Popular Posts