Appreciation

Sometimes the people in my life are there so briefly and yet affect me greatly. About 2 years ago I had a supervisor who I thought could not be topped.  Entering her office was never cause for trepidation. She was sometimes overwhelmed with the demands of her job and health and family concerns, yet she remained open and when she left to take another position, she took a moment to tell us the things she appreciated about working with us.  Then came Ed.  When he sat down and told us that he just an old hippie just trying to get by, I wan't too sure what to expect.  Mellow, disinterested, spacey? But he has been a very encouraging and affirming person in my life the past two years, and I will miss him.  The first time he came to my QB, sat down, and asked me how I was...I was startled.  I wasn't sure how to reply.  Did he want to know about work concerns, about my current health, or was it a lead in to discuss a problem?  Soon he began asking me to to come to his office to ask my opinion on things and I became used to hearing "You are not coming to the principals office."  Then he united our team with impromptu staffing's to discuss difficult cases. And finally stating "you are the professionals here, what is your plan?"  He told me (and perhaps the same to others too) that he could see me doing his job, right now.  Over the two years he was our boss, he gained our cooperation and our respect. He empowered us, and calmed us, and trusted us to do the job we were given. What a tremendous example of leadership!  Thank you Ed and may your retirement be kind to you!

Comments

Popular Posts