Women Food and God by Geneen Roth

I caught a piece in an issue O Magazine that grabbed my attention.  Women Food and God, hmm.  So borrowed a copy from our library and a few of the authors other books themed on emotional eating. Here's a piece or two from her book:
"Women turn to food when they are not hungry because they are hungry for something they can't name: a connection to beyond the concerns of daily life....The relentless attempts to be thin take you further and further away from what actually end your suffering: getting back in touch with who really are.  Your true nature.  Your essence."
The last two mornings I have awaken and consciously gone about doing the things I feel represent me. Would you believe it has led me to exercise, morning prayer, reading the scriptures, preparing breakfasts, and doing a load of laundry?   In the evenings, I make dinner, assist with dishes, read and pray before going to sleep. Between times I actively express appreciation, offer to assist others, and attempt to show kindness and love to my husband, children, family, friends, and neighbors. These acts are the essentials of my day, and at the core of who I am.
When I focus less on food, I focus more on what is important in my life, thus feeding my hungry soul.

Comments

Popular Posts