Influences


I awoke after a night of weird dreams with songs like "Matchmaker", "Where Is Love", and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" going through my mind. I wonder how much of these old Broadway Musical tunes have influenced my thinking about love, and marriage. I must have listened to the Broadway LP's over 100 times each, sung them while walking to school and home, in duet with my sister as we tried to capture the intonations we heard from the original soundtracks, in the car, and on long trips.

As I watch my children listen to their iPods, cd's, and so forth, I wonder what music and lyrics are influencing them? Will they remember the songs we sang at their adoptions, in church, and at home? Do we sing enough together to have established groves of frequent thought travel in their brains?

Broadway Musicals are not the only part of my memory repertoire. I have Primary/ church songs, camp songs, and popular music of my youth. However, I must admit, however benign they may have seemed, they are definitely a part of my internal and sub-conscious memory and occasionally spring into consciousness without apparent prompt.

Comments

Popular Posts