Secondary reactions

Ok, so I have managed to avoid being stung by a bee or bit by a hornet for years. Not that I have been cocky about it, just grateful...until Sunday. This hornet came from no where and bit me on the inside of my left elbow. At first it stung like --- (and I managed not to swear :-) but then the itch...Mama Mia. Since chemo I can't take Bendryl but I needed help. So, persuaded by Rockhopper I tried this "cool trick" he just learned about - "put an old penny on the spot and tape it to you arm for an hour". So I did and continued on the bike ride we planned. The itch-sting didn't go away. By morning there was a reaction to the penny spot. So I applied Hydrocortisone cream. What a mess! The rash spread down my forearm and up my upper arm. OK, so now we have contact dermatitis. That was Monday. It is now Friday and no relief, especially at night. I've tried cold compresses, baking soda compresses, Tylenol, ice cubes, and only minor brief relief. Finally, I called the MD. So he asked "On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being you want to rip your arm off and throw it, how bad is the itch pain?" I walked out with a prescription for Prednisone and directions to use baking soda compresses as needed. Fortunately, he doesn't think it is shingles (I was beginning to wonder). Just a good case of contract dermatitis from the bee sting, the penny, the Hydrocortisone, or a combination thereof.

Comments

Popular Posts