How do you say it?

When we were kids we used to ask - "What if you could know when you were going to die? Would you want to know and what would you do?" Back then it was like a quiz game. It never really occurred to me that is was in the realm of possibilities to know. I lacked the concept that such knowledge also likely indicated a decline of health and quality of life. I've had more experience since then. Now I do know.

Last fall I was in a Dr office waiting for my turn to see the oncologist and over heard another doctor tell another patient that he was terminal. They could do chemotherapy - it would delay his death by a few months but would also decrease his quality of life. I was stunned. How do you tell someone that? How do you hear it? I just wanted to climb through that wall and give that person a hug. What do you do? How do you make it through each day knowing that its one day closer on that time clock?

Even with the faith, the hope, the testimony of eternal life...it's a zinger!

My friend who has been fighting leukemia was told by the doctor at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center that her life has a timeline. At present treatment 10 months...with a transplant maybe 3 years. Even though her cancer is in remission she needs on-going chemo therapy. Each chemo treatment she has between now and transplant will weaken her system and increase the chance that the transplant will be rejected. She has a 20% chance of finding a donor in the next 5 months.

I feel at such a loss...for her, for her husband, for her sons. She is the light of their lives.

Breast cancer was how we became friends.
Breast cancer turned to leukemia is now why I will be saying good-bye.

In spite of this her attitude is nearly always positive, and when it isn't she is more than justified!She is a fighter and not willing to give up. She will fight for those 3 years as long there is hope.

Comments

Popular Posts