Pro and Con

Some decisions really make me wish for a fairy godmother

or crystal ball!

Today was one of those days. At work, I had to let a client know that due to the decisions he made in his youth, he must chose between entering a very strict residential program, or refuse permanently all the financial support the state would provide for his care. Another decision involved approval for another client to move into a less structured environment, though his guardian did not look favorably on the move.


I'm debating about transferring my youngest child midyear
into the neighborhood school.

Pro:

The neighborhood school is close to home, good teachers, less crowded special services programs.

She will have the chance to break out of the mold she has been in for the past few years.

She would be safe from a classmate who has fixated on her hair, twice pulling out a fist-full during class time this year, and broken her glasses in the past. (My daughter quickly re-establishes peace and hugs her after each skirmish.)

Past history with the 4th/5th grade teachers make me wonder about their willingness/ability to meet my daughter's educational needs.

I also would be relieved of demands inherent in a parent cooperative program.

Current educational philosphy indicates that moving mid-year is actually less stressful to a child than having an entire summer to anxiously anticipate the unknown of a new school.

Con:

Our neighborhood school is an open classroom school, and my daughter has a hard time with focus and concentration.

Six years ago, two of my children had difficulty at this school and why we had been attending the parent cooperative program. (Since then the principal and support staff have changed.)

My daughter's best friend is in a younger grade and will undoubtably reconize more fully my daughters delays compared to her peers.

My daughter would be unable to walk independently to Nana's house, as she does now.

I will also miss the association I have with the support staff and educators at her current school. The educators, staff, and families of the program were very supportive of our family while I was undergoing cancer treatment the past year and a half.

I feel compelled to remain loyal to them, but wonder what would be the best for my daughter?
I hope to have a decision made before friday when the kids are let out for winter break.


Santa is providing a Christmas gift to a rather tempermental daughter (not the afore mentioned one). Santa's helper was confident it was a good choice, but as time draws nearer, the confidence has waivered and there is growing concern that she will respond with indifference at best, or a fit at worst. (Predictability is so important to her!) This same child has been so peturbed at the lack of access to her swing outside (due to the severe cold), at times I thought we would have a brawl in the kitchen!


So if I sound particularly tired the next time you talk with me, it's because

I've got a case of insomnia while trying to sort thoughts out.

Comments

Popular Posts