PT

In preparation for the fall reconstructive surgery, and to cope with the budding lymph edema, I started Physical Therapy last August. I'm amazed at how much PT is like a "Personal Trainer". We've measured my range of motion, diameters of my arms and hands, tested grip strength and performed exercises. But it didn't stop there. Sherrie is an affectionatto for understanding learning styles and educating her clients about body awareness. Not only is my posture improving, but so is my mind. So much of what I'm learning, has been taught to me in small increments since childhood from my second grade teacher who made us sing "Good posture do not slump, you must grow up healthy, hide that hump" to Yoga instructors that train in breathing/ relaxation techniques, and my husband who hopes to be a weight watchers poster child soon. Funny, it's only when I receive a crash course (like cancer) that I begin to implement these teachings. I wonder, is that typical of a visual - spatial learner? (Need to have the big picture before understanding all the parts).
I enjoy meeting with Sherrie and her assistant,Carla, each week, and restoring from chemo brain and anesthesia to a functioning person again. And of course we also talk about kids :-)

Comments

Popular Posts